The Peterborough Town Cricket, Hockey and Squash Club Ltd has been in existence since April 1966 and was originally located on Crawthorne Road in the city centre. The club then moved due to development opportunities to the larger grounds at Bretton Gate in 1971 to become Peterborough Town Sports Club and the club has been there ever since. There were some key individuals who drove the change from Crawthorne Road to Bretton Gate including: Ted Belton, Wilf Morgan, Archie Norman, John Peake and Archie Peters.
City of Peterborough Bowls Club (previously Belvedere and Molins Bowls Clubs) merged and became one club in 2014 and had a new playing surface and pavilion built at Bretton Gate.
Peterborough Town Cricket Club is the oldest of the three original partners and has been existence since circa 1850, Northamptonshire CCC played 46 first-class matches at Crawthorne Road, there were also matches played here against International teams New Zealand and Pakistan. The club has provided several players to Northamptonshire CCC and more recently Leicestershire CCC and indeed two captains. At Bretton Gate PTCC originally had 3 pitches and squares.
Peterborough Town Hockey Club, established in 1947 merged with Peterborough Athletic Hockey Club to become City of Peterborough Hockey Club also originally played at Crawthorne Road. ‘The Roger Brummitt’ mixed weekend hockey tournament has been running since 1958 and the ‘Bretton Beavers’ have the most Brummitt wins with 11. The Hockey club originally played on 5 grass pitches across the grounds at Bretton Gate, but a new astroturf pitch was laid ready for the 1990/1991 season.
Peterborough Town Squash Club (now City of Peterborough Squash & Racketball Club) were previously based in Priestgate and became the club’s largest section with over 400 members at one point and had 3 squash courts, and the 4th court was the original bar area for the club. The original glass-back show court was then built in March 1980 with 6-time British Open Champion Jonah Barrington playing on the court for its grand opening.
Peterborough Town Tennis Club (now City of Peterborough Tennis Club) was formed in 1993 and was originally funded by the old Peterborough District Hospital and the LTA, where 3 outdoor courts were built. Later, City of Peterborough Tennis Club from Park Crescent moved to Bretton Gate in 1995 and the new indoor courts were built in 2014.
All playing activities since the start have been under the control of a separate committee for each sport and the overall club has been run by the Management Council which consists of the chairs for each sport.
Peterborough Town Sports Club was recently renamed ‘City of Peterborough Sports Club’ in 2021.
A word from the President
It has been an enormous privilege to have been involved with PTSC & CoPSC for the last 54 years.
The initial 3 sports that moved to Bretton Gate in 1971 has now become 5 sports. The club continues to expand and provide excellent sports and social facilities to its members. I believe the Club can lay a strong claim to being the Premier multi-sports club in the East of England.
Peter Leaton – President, City of Peterborough Sports Club
Get in touchTelephone: 01733 262202
Use the form below to get in touch with any questions you may have.